Entrepreneurship can commonly be approached as self-employment. Over the years many large scaled companies have made their name in the global market though having started as a small-scaled company with just a single employee. There are various reasons why this approach of business has gained popularity over the years. It has become an active and constant source of income for various people. It is a very professional way in which a certain set of skills and abilities that people possess can be brought to action in a short span of time. The main reason why this concept came into being was to ensure that people have a business that leads to profit, guaranteed. When a business is directed outwards solely for profit purposes the concept is known as entrepreneurship, whereas when a single organization branches out within itself, it is termed as intrapreneurship.
An entrepreneur can only be successful if they are willing to take certain steps and risks that are challenging. A good entrepreneur has the following qualities:
- They are willing to overstep and take risks.
- They are willing to exercise inventiveness. This means that every time a new opportunity pops up, an entrepreneur is not afraid to grasp it. More so, if an opportunity does not come up, an entrepreneur is one to make opportunities.
- They always remain on top of their game and ensure that they are actively taking advantage of all the recent and contemporary marketing opportunities.
- They are well-planned and well-organized. This helps them strategize and implement whatever they have in mind quickly and more effectively.
- It is their job to ensure they never run out of resources and hence are always coming up with innovative ways to improve their financial status. This way, in times of investment, an entrepreneur is never lagging behind.
Over the years, the term has not just gained popularity but also modification. You no longer have to be a certified entrepreneur. People who have qualities like the ones mentioned above, they are often stated to have an entrepreneurial mindset or an entrepreneurial approach.
It is a great way to start or end a career. Being self-employed instills a great deal of confidence in people looking to make their way in the job market. How you deal with and implement the concept of entrepreneurship in your business and organization depends greatly on the level of creativity involved in the business.
Nonetheless, this approach is a great way to achieve milestones in the business field.
Though writing an essay for a scholarship application can be a daunting task, think of it as an opportunity to showcase your abilities and talents to the scholarship committee. By accentuating your strengths through your writing, you will be able to effectively communicate that you are a deserving candidate for their award.
Strive to illustrate your strengths and experience when writing essays for a scholarship application. Throughout your life, you continually discover your talents and abilities. As you develop these talents, they become your strengths in life. Try to demonstrate multiple strengths in your essays. Possible topics that you could illustrate in a scholarship essay include service, leadership, academics, arts, athletics, entrepreneurship, creative talent, leadership, diversity, challenges overcome, and community involvement. Decision-makers for the scholarship program will see your strengths and abilities as reasons why you are worthy of a scholarship.
Add Variety to Your Strengths
Convince selection committees that your talents and experiences are expansive. Demonstrate the variety of your strengths by dividing them into categories and highlighting each one. Below are examples of how you can emphasize the following strengths:
- Service by describing service projects you performed for your church, community, and school or work
- Leadership by outlining leadership positions in your church, community, and school or work
- Athletics by highlighting the top three sports that you excel in: football, soccer, tennis, cheerleading, track, field, or other
- Academics by specifying your top three academic subjects in school: math, science, history, civics, economics, English, or other
- Creative talent by explaining your talents: visual arts, music, dance, poetry, or other
- Any other talent or ability by identifying three ways you have demonstrated that strength in your life
Give Your Strengths Magnitude
In addition, you should show selection committees that you have developed each of your strengths extensively. Tell them how your accomplishments set you apart from others. Demonstrate the magnitude of your strengths by sharing at least three accomplishments within each category. We call this method of presenting your skills and accomplishments “powerstatements.”
Two important concepts govern the preparation of power statements:
- Highlight the skill you are presenting by using “power words,” such as motivated, organized, responsible, problem-solver, and other words that describe your particular strengths.
- Describe something you accomplished with the skill you are presenting. You may include a challenge you faced, actions you performed to overcome the challenge, and the results of your actions. Try to quantify the results of your accomplishments to show your value to a scholarship committee.
Some Examples of Power Statements:
I can achieve results. For example, I planned, organized, and led a charity project that packaged over 5,000 boxes of humanitarian supplies for victims of Hurricane Irene. The whole project was completed and shipped in one day.
I have organization management skills. For example, I reorganized my company’s manufacturing department, increasing yield by 15 percent.
I am an over-achiever. For example, I maintained a 4.0 GPA throughout college while working full-time, taking honors courses, and serving as the president of the Education Society on campus.
I am dedicated. For example, I won the city and regional championship in the 5K by training four hours daily to improve my running time by 45%.
I am creative. For example, I designed a new product line that increased my company’s revenue by $25,000.
By expressing the variety of your strengths, you will show that you are a skilled and well-rounded individual. By expressing the magnitude of your strengths, you will prove that you are accomplished in those areas of your life. Using power statements to deliver these messages will communicate your value with greater impact to selection committees. These applied techniques will create an essay that is more impressive and persuasive of your qualifications.
For more information about scholarships, see the following:
Letters of Recommendation
Scholarship Master Application
Topics for Scholarship Essays
How to Strengthen a Scholarship Essay
Finding Financial Aid on LDSjobs.org
Was this helpful?